See below for correct responses and more information.
1. B. Cottage cheese, although a dairy product, has a much lower calcium content than milk, hard cheese or yogurt. 3/4 cup contains about 110 mg calcium compared to 200 mg found in one ounce (30 grams) Cheddar or 250 mg in 3/4 cup fruit yogurt. Almonds (185 mg per 1/2 cup) and kale (130 mg per 3/4 cup) are good sources for those who do not eat dairy.
3. C. Salsa wins. Two Tbsp. salsa has only 10 calories and no fat followed by 2 Tbsp. guacamole at about 35 calories, 2 grams fat, 2 Tbsp. hummus at 60 calories, 3 grams fat and 2 Tbsp. spinach dip at 130 calories and 12 grams fat.
4. False. Many whole wheat products may not be whole grain even if the label says 100% whole wheat. A whole grain contains all of the grain - the bran, germ and endosperm. Current Canadian regulations allow that products labelled "whole wheat" can actually have as much as 70% of the germ removed. Best bet is to look for "whole grain whole wheat, including germ," at the top of the ingredient list. And, look for bread that has at least two to three grams of fibre a slice.
5. B. Wheat bran is high in insoluble fibre which helps keep you regular but does not affect your blood cholesterol. The other foods contain soluble fibre, the type which helps lower cholesterol.
6. D. All these foods are good sources of potassium but the baked potato wins at 855 mg, followed by a banana at 422 mg, 2% milk at 380 mg and an orange at 333 mg
7. False. Light olive oil is light in colour and flavour, not in calories. All oils, light or regular, have about 14 grams of fat and 120 calories per tablespoon,
8 . False. It's best to wash produce under clean running water and to use a vegetable scrub brush on foods with a firm skin such as potatoes and carrots. You should not use soap because it can leave soap residue on the produce.
9. False. Brown sugar is white sugar with molasses added, making it light or dark brown. The nutritional differences between the two are negligible.
10. B and C. Both quinoa and rice are gluten free.
Did you find what you were looking for on our website? Please let us know.