Many children's toys are painted or decorated, and sometimes the paint that is used contains some level of lead. What is the danger of lead ingestion, and what harm can it do to your child?
Lead is a naturally occurring element in our environment, but it is a known neurotoxin. That is, it destroys nerve tissues. Young children, toddlers, and infants are all especially susceptible to lead toxicity, as their brains and central nervous systems are still developing. Exposure to lead can disrupt this delicate process.
Long-term effects of lead exposure include:
If levels of lead soar too high, a child can actually be poisoned and have acute symptoms, such as seizures, vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain, coma, and even death.
So, what can you do to keep poisonous toys out of the hands - and mouths - of children?
If you think your child may have come into contact with a toy that contains lead, have your doctor test your child for lead exposure. There are kits available to test toys and other products for lead, but the results of these home tests have been unreliable.
Did you find what you were looking for on our website? Please let us know.